Folate plays an important role in overall energy production. Here are the signs and symptoms of folate deficiency and what can be done about it.
The feeling of being constantly tired can be caused by a variety of things, including mental and physical health issues. Lack of sleep, iron deficiency, stress, depression, and thyroid problems, to name a few, can all contribute to exhaustion. On certain days, nearly all of us may have struggled with exhaustion for a variety of reasons; however, if it occurs for reasons that cannot be explained, one may attempt to determine the underlying cause.
Symptoms of vitamin B12 or folate deficiency
Vitamin B12 and folate perform several important functions in the body, including keeping the nervous system healthy.A deficiency in either of these vitamins can cause a wide range of problems, including:
- extreme tiredness
- a lack of energy
- a sore and red tongue
- mouth ulcers
- muscle weakness
Causes of a Vitamin B12 Deficiency
A lack of folate or vitamin B12 can be caused by a variety of issues.
These are some:
- Pernicious anemia – where your immune system attacks healthy cells in your stomach, preventing your body from absorbing vitamin B12 from the food you eat; this is the most common cause of vitamin B12 deficiency in the UK
- The absence of these nutrients in your eating – regimen is remarkable and can occur in the event that you have a veggie lover diet and don’t take vitamin B12 supplements or eat food sources sustained with vitamin B12, follow a prohibitive eating regimen, or have a, for the most part, less than stellar eating routine for quite.
- Medication – certain medicines, including anticonvulsants and proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), can affect how much of these vitamins your body absorbs
Treating vitamin B12 or folate deficiency anemia
Most cases of vitamin B12 and folate deficiency can be easily treated with injections or tablets to replace the missing vitamins. Then, depending on whether your B12 deficiency is related to your diet, you’ll either require B12 tablets between meals or regular injections.
- Vitamin B12 supplements are usually given by injection at first.
- Treatments may last until your vitamin B12 levels have improved or you may need treatment for the rest of your life.
- Folic acid tablets are used to restore folate levels. These usually need to be taken for 4 months.
- In some cases, improving your diet can help treat the condition and prevent it from coming back.