There’s was confusion regarding who will be Punjab’s new CM after Captain Amarinder Singh resigned from the post. Everyone thought it would be Navjot Singh Sindhu, but the Congress party came up with few new names. Charanjit Singh Channi was selected instead.
He took oath as Chief Minister- The first Dalit to do so today in the presence of party leader Rahul Gandhi and others. Who is Charanjit Singh and what you should know about him? Read here to know.
Charanjit Singh Channi- A Self-Made Politician And Dalit’s Saviour
1. Charanjit Singh was born on 1st March 1962 in Chamkaur Sahib, Punab
2. Channi is an MLA from Chamkaur Sahib constituency, he has served as MLA thrice from the same constituency
3. He is a Minister of Technical Education and Industrial Training
4. Punjab’s new CM was the leader of the opposition party before joining Congress.
5. Charanjit made political entry during his school days when he was made representative of the students union
6. He is a lawyer by profession and also holds a post-graduation degree in political science and business administration
7. Channi is fond of learning and he even wished to get a Ph.D. degree from Punjab University
8. Several controversies surround Channi due to his firm belief in astrology. He had once constructed an illegal road following astrology to succeed in politics.
9. His elder brother Manmohan Singh is his inspiration
10. He is the first minister from Dalit Community to be made Punjab’s Chief Minister.
During his oath ceremony, Channi expressed gratitude to the party leaders assuring he will do his best for the welfare of the people.