Pouring a dallop of ghee to your everyday meal is definitely not good for your health, but skincare experts says “Ghee is the healthiest food for skin and hair.” The benefits of ghee are also mentioned in the Ayurveda where it is defined as anupana(carrier ingredient) and ojovardhark ingredient.
According to the Charaka Samhita, ghee helps balancing the vata and pitta constitution of the body. Beside this, ghee is praised for its anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, moisturizing, and radiance-boosting properties.
The short chain of fatty acids in ghee( clarified butter) hydrates the skin cells and reduce signs of ageing. Beside this, ghee can makes frizzy hair soft, shiny, and healthy thus preventing hair breakage.
Ghee For Healthy Skin
Homemade clarified butter or ghee can do wonders for skin such as:
- Using ghee as under-eye cream everyday reduces dark circles
- Massaging your lips with ghee prevents the chapping and darkening of lips
- Appling ghee all over your body just before taking bath results into smooth and soft skin
- Brighten skin complexion, make face pack using by mixing besan, ghee, and raw milk. Apply it daily and notice improvement in the skin complexion.
- Get rid of dull and rough skin with ghee and sandalwood face pack. Add turmeric and milk for better results, use as usual.
- Moisturize your skin with ghee
- Help fight dryness and irritation
Try these home remedies for skin daily and soon you will see skin getting healthier.
Ghee For Healthy Hair
Though ghee has different viscosity than oil, it’s far better than oil for hair health. As applying ghee on hair ensures vibrant, healthy, and strong hair. But, ghee doesn’t promises faster growth of hair.
You can use it as a mask for hair. Microwave few tablespoons of ghee and massage your scalp with lighter hands. Leave for few hours and wash off with a mild shampoo.
If the smell of ghee doesn’t please you then mix it with olive or coconut oil to enhance the properties of hair mask. As olive can improve the hair growth by boosting the blood flow. On the other hand, coconut oil prevent the loss of hair protein and reaches the hair roots more effectively than other mineral oils.
Side Effects, If Any?
Although ghee is considered as the healthiest natural product for body, skin, and hair, over application of ghee on hair can results into:
- Loss of hair
- Tangled hair
- Scalp acne
- Difficulty styling hair
Thus, do not use ghee in abundance and also check the quality of ghee before using it directly on the scalp. A patch-test is recommended for those with dairy sensitivity.