“You didn’t bowl badly, you just came up against the player who I think is the best batsman of spin bowling that I have seen!”
Ian Chapel had said those words to Shane Warne when he became the victim of VVS Laksham’s ‘special spell’!
VVS Lakshman was born on 1st November and so was the luck of India, 45 years ago!
On his birthday, after rigorous research, we’re going to share with you some unknown facts about him that you never knew!
1. VVS Laxman is the great-grandson of India’ s second president, Dr Sarvpalli Radhakrishnan, in whose honour Teacher’s Day is celebrated in India!
2. V V S Laxman’s full name is Vangipurapu Venkata Sai Laxman.
3. Despite being the backbone of India’s middle order for 2 decades, he never got to play a Worldcup!
4. Not giving much trouble to bowlers in the beginning as well as in the ending, he started and ended his ODI career with a duck!
5. He made his test debut against South Africa in Ahmadabad in 1996 and his ODI debut in1998 against Zimbabwe.
6. Laxman and Australian pacers Brett Lee made their international debuts in the same U-19 match in February 1994 where he troubled them largely by playing a fine knock of 88 at number six.
7. He has hit just 9 sixes in his international career. Although he was a magician of Test Cricket, him hitting a six was as rare as Dhoni getting run out! *Ouch*
8. VVS Lakshman is lovingly called ‘Very Very Special’ Lakshman! This name was coined by the legendary Aussie captain Ian Chappel.
9. His favourite actor is Aamir Khan and he loves to binge-watch Aamir’s reality TV show ‘Satyamev Jayate’.
10. According to Sourav Ganguly, he loves to sing and listen to Bhajans! Maybe that’s how he became ‘Special’
We wish VVS Lakshman a very Happy Birthday! May you continue to inspire lots and may you be the reason for the revival of Test Cricket!