Whether you do forward bends in sitting position or standing, it will lengthen your spine and hamstrings. But forward bend pose is quite challenging for some people unless they know the secret tips.
Read further to know how you can get most out of the forward bend pose. And if you are a beginner then don’t worry, we have shared instructions for the pose as well.
Forward Bend Pose
Uttanasana or standing forward bend pose, as the name suggest means stretching or extending. The stretch is intense that activates your inner legs. It also lengthens your hamstrings and makes your mind calm.
How To Do Standing Forward Bend Pose?
Follow these steps:
Step1- Stand straight with feet together in tadasana pose. Now, keep hands on your hips and bring your torso over the legs. Exhale while bending and when you do, you lengthen the pubis. Slightly bend the knees. Remember not to fold your body by bending the lower back. Bend as much as you can and stop wherever you face the problem.
Step2- Keep your hands on the ground anywhere on the front, sides of the feet, or back wherever comfortable.
Step3- Now breathe in and out. Hold in the position for 3-5 breaths and then come up gently.
Step4- Come up while keeping the back straight and put your hands on the knees. However, while releasing the pose and exhale.
The steps may seem simple at first, but you may make mistakes while doing the standing forward bend pose. So, follow these tips.
3 Tips For Beginners
- Straight alignment is very necessary or you can say it is a key part of the pose. So, fold from the hip crease and not from the waist.
- In case, your hands do not reach the ground then do not push your body. use blocks to get the support.
- Many people push their bodies too much during the forward bend pose. Avoid it because the pose is about relaxing your body and not stretching too much.
Keep these points in mind while doing the forward bend pose and you will get it corrected.
Who Should Not Do Pose?
If you have an injury in the back from the past or recently you have got injured, avoid the pose. But you can also do it the other way with half bends or hand on the walls. However, keep the arms straight and parallel to the ground.
Benefits From The Pose
Standing forward bend pose or uttanasana gives you following benefits:
- Your hips, calves, and hamstrings get stretched
- It makes digestion better
- It reduces anxiety and fatigue
- Also, helps to relieve insomnia and headache
- The pose is good for asthma patients
- It is also good for those dealing with osteoporosis, high blood pressure, and fertility issues
- Women at menopause stage should perform it to lower the menopause symptoms
- It makes your mind calm and helps you deal with depression
- Furthermore, it stretches your thighs and knees
So, get ready to experience all these benefits by following the steps correctly.