Cricket fans around the world wait for arch-rivals, India-Pakistan as they will lock horns in the upcoming Asia Cup on September 19 and the BCCI is in mere surprise by the scheduling of undoubtedly the biggest game of 2018. On Tuesday, as per the scheduled released, India has to play against a qualifier much on the day before the encounter against Pakistan, a decision the Indian board has described as “mindless.”
As per a senior BCCI official told to CricketNext, “The scheduling is mindless.” Mind appears to have gone zero. How can you accept the sequence of events where India will be playing back to back as today and tomorrow it will have to face its rival Pakistan, which will be the rest of the two days?
He further added, This is unacceptable and has to be revisited. Maybe for the organizers, it is just a money-spinning game but for us, it is important that there be equity in scheduling.”
Pakistan is scheduled to have a match against the qualifiers on September 16 and then get a two-day break to prepare for the high-voltage clash against India. India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, and Afghanistan are all the confirmed participants while the remaining places will have a contest between the United Arab Emirates, Singapore, Oman, Nepal, Malaysia and Hong Kong.
There will be two groups, Group A and Group B. Group A house India, Pakistan and the qualifier while Group B comprises Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, and Afghanistan. On September 15, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh will play the opening match in Dubai. The decider clash will be played on September 28. From each group, top two teams will qualify for the Super 4 and two teams will then play the final on 28 September in Dubai.
Asia Cup Matches Schedule:
- 15 September – Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka (Dubai)
- 16 September – Pakistan vs Qualifier (Dubai)
- 17 September – Sri Lanka vs Afghanistan (Abu Dhabi)
- 18 September – India vs Qualifier (Dubai)
- 19 September – India vs Pakistan (Dubai)
- 20 September – Bangladesh vs Afghanistan (Abu Dhabi)
- 21 September – Group A Winner vs Group B Runner-up (Dubai)
- 21 September – Group B Winner vs Group A Runner-up (Abu Dhabi)
- 23 September – Group A Winner vs Group A Runner-up (Dubai)
- 23 September – Group B Winner vs Group B Runner-up (Abu Dhabi)
- 25 September – Group A Winner vs Group B Winner (Dubai)
- 26 September – Group A Runner-up vs Group B Runner-up (Abu Dhabi)
Final – 28 September (Dubai).